Friday, October 28, 2011

1 week!

The Dining Room Buffet

Found it... at my secret place...The Salvation Army
Cost...sticker price $299.00 but I paid $150! The Salvation Army not only has a great selection of old furniture but they discounts their based on how long the piece has been in the store. Great deal huh?? :)


It took me one week to finish my latest project! I couldn't work on is much last weekend because Jason was gone, then Carson was sick, and now I am sick, AND this is a BIG piece of furniture! I guess I didn't realize how big and "detailed" this piece of furniture was until I got started!! This was my hardest piece yet!!

Before

I used two different approaches with this particular piece. I striped the top of the buffet using a chemical stripper, then I sanded it until it was a nice light wood color. I taped off the top so the stain wouldn't leak to the bottom part of the buffet. Then I stained it. I used two coats of the Minwax® Wood Finish™ Jacobean. Then I finished it with Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish. For the bottom part of the buffet I made my own color. I used the paint I recently painted our bedroom a gray/blue called polished silver, a creamy white (the one I used on the side table), and a true gray. I wanted it to be neutral with a hint of color. I think I definitely achieved that look! I sanded the edges and then painted it with stain and wiped it off to give it the distressed look. I LOVE how it turned out! :)

After

I plan on putting an old ceramic pitcher and bowl in
the center but it's at my mom's house right now.


Did you notice those vases on the right side of the buffet?? They looked like the picture below before I spray painted them...



Looking into the dining room from the bar area.

4 comments:

Nellie said...

looks so good, erica! i don't know where you find the time and energy to do all of your projects :)

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

So impressed! It looks awesome- who would have though Salvation Army? I love a good find!

Maridith said...

Watch out girl you are on fire!! Great job!

Bates family said...

Thank you all!! I love this piece as well!! :) It's been fun seeing the transformations all the different pieces of furniture have gone through!